There’s nothing better than curling up with a comforting bowl of hot soup after a long, frigid, wintry day. The new year is in full swing. Everyone is back to work after the holiday fun, and it’s game time.
Since the arctic like conditions have arrived here in Chicago, fully making themselves known, it’s time to take care of our bodies with proper immune-boosting nourishment (unless of course you live in a warm place, then please send us some of your warm air!
This oil-free Cleansing Detox Soup is packed with all the good stuff, and by good stuff I mean immune-boosting natural remedies like fresh lemon juice, fresh zingy ginger, bright turmeric, balancing cinnamon, and a touch of spicy cayenne. Detoxifying vegetables and leafy greens like kale, broccoli, celery and carrots will cleanse, nourish and make you feel whole. I carefully chose each ingredient based on it’s healing properties and am sticking to oil free recipes all of January. You especially want to avoid cooking with oils in a cleansing and detoxifying recipe to allow the detoxification process to properly take place.
- 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small head of broccoli, florets
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (I used powdered)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- fine-grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups water (or 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water)
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and torn in pieces
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- juice from 1/2 of a small lemon (or a whole lemon, depending how much lemon flavor you prefer)
- In a large pot, add the water and turn on the heat to medium-high. After it’s hot, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the celery, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes and fresh ginger. Stir and cook for 3 minutes, adding in extra water or broth as needed (another 1/4 cup). Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add in the kale, cabbage and lemon juice near the last 2-3 minutes of simmering.
Recipe Adapted From: theglowingfridge.com